Remember the day after Christmas when you are 9 years old. Because you pummeled your sister only 219 days this year, Santa eschewed his usual coal delivery and gave you the electronic toy of your dreams – the Mattel Electronics Football I. Those of you young enough to remember more than one Democrat in the White House will recall this technological marvel. You punch the buttons like crazy – first one way then the other – and your man (a single line) fakes out the defender (another line) and score like 120 points in 15 minutes. You can not wait to go to all of your friends’ homes, brag and show them your new nirvana.
Two things can happen. Your friend is insanely jealous (the best scenario) and you mentally and physically abuse him for months while he incessantly whines to his parents to buy him the toy (Victory!) or……The bastard somehow go a hold of the Atari Landry 3000 joystick-controlled, TV video display football 2000. Your new toy now officially sucks and man my parents are cheap (Big Loss).
Folks, we got ourselves some new toys. However, right now the only people that have seen our toys are our grandparents and our fat cousins from Newark that smell like sulfur. They like everything, even that godawful fruitcake that I think Mom served last year.
The question is when we bring our toys to our ACC neighbors, are they gonna be jealous or beat us like a Grand Canyon mule after a day with Oprah.
I was actually happy to see some drops this week. They were spread out, as Owens, Reed (sure TD), Fortson and Taiwan all shared the short end of the turkey bone. I just wanted it out of their system this week. One thing that does not change is downfield blocking and these kids are all laying it out there. Because of this, I think that Antone is gonna house a long one this week. WR blocks are the difference between 10 yards scampers and 50 yard gallops. We are due. I also believe that Greg Carr has been thoroughly Dawsified. His toughness is palpable; fighting for extra yards on every reception.
Honestly, I am not that worried about the offense. Wake is a very good defense and Jimbo (or was he channeling Lou Holtz – no lisp – I guess not) said that they have five pros on defense. However, I feel like we should score – young OL or not. Our passing game is quick and requires our lineman to hold their blocks only for a short time. We should be able to put 20 plus on the board…
My concern is on defense – even with madman Bud Thacker back. Against BAD competition, we are not getting to the QB with four guys. Yes, Everette Brown absolutely destroyed his man when he was singled, but not many teams are gonna allow that. If Marcus White and Bud Thacker do not impact this game, we are in trouble.
One of the matchups that is most interesting this week is our SLB against their running backs. Wake throws to the backs about 40% of the time. Kendall Smith and Kenny Ingram must lay the lumber and early. Their backs need to be Jason-scared and begging for their binkie by halftime. If they get comfortable with that little dump, it will be second and 3 all day long. Bad news.
Our corners will be on Gilligans Island without Ginger all day long – especially if we blitz like Amato likes to do. I sure hope that this short three-some of Carter, Garvin and Magnum (sounds like an NRA law firm) can get it done.
I say again that good teams all over the country these past two weeks played idiots like we did and many of them struggled. We did not. I kind of think our toys might be the best on the block….The only problem is that new buttons tend to stick. Only when they get a little older and worn down; that is when you really can beat up your friends…
Go Noles!
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment