Tuesday, June 24, 2008

UAB (Game 2)

I am not sure if I felt much better after the UAB win or the Clemson loss...ok...you are right the win was better.

I know that the September weather in Tallahassee was unbeatable. Hanging out, tailgating in the shade of a giant oak with 85 degrees and a nice breeze is about as good as it gets in our pregame world. You folks need to join us this Fall!

So, what did we learn last week? Wellll, we learned that this offensive system could be pretty dadgum good. I know that I had more hair on my head the last time I saw an FSU wideout running free down the middle of the field for a perfectly thrown 50 yd bomb. I know I had less hair in my ears the last time I saw wide open playmakers like Preston Parker streaking across the middle wide open for 25 yard gallops. I know that the words "trim and back" were never in the same sentence the last time I saw 3rd down conversions to lonely TE's (are you listening Brandon Warren?) who rumbled untouched to either brightly painted areas on the field or past orange markers. I know that my hobbit toes were blonder the last time that Greg Carr blocked somebody (probably a good pick in his 7th grade basketball league), and let me tell you...LD is getting to young Mr. Carr. That may have been his best all-around game as a Seminole. I learned that when 85,000 people suck in their breath at once (as they did when the cart came out for Antone) the Seminole Nation flag at Doak does stir. Overall, I saw continued improvement from an O-Line that does not tire - as two 60 minute games have illustrated - as we have been much better in the 4th quarter than the 1st. So, I have hope here...

On defense, I was very discouraged. If Mickey was not sick when the ball kicked off, watching our boys commit stupid penalties and our young corners continue to flounder at floating balls when they are in position like a drunk chasing a butterfly would have made him check his vitals.

We have one obvious strength after two games. Our interior four guys are absolute beasts. Fluellen, Thacker, Guion and Griffin are concrete-on-wheels immovable. Both of our opponents have given up running up the gut after the 1st series or two. Our DE's have to improve. Neefy has made two huge sacks in two games, and his 3rd quarter assault on the poor UAB signal caller was borderline criminal. But, we are not getting enough solid pressure and outside containment from the other three guys. Maybe Kevin McNeil can finally pass English 101 this week to make him eligible to help.

Myron Rolle continues to shine, but boy do we have a problem in Roger Williams. He had a chance in the second half on a long play over the middle to either Debbie Boone the WR or make a pick. He chose...neither. He ducked under the FB and gently nudged the Blazer to the ground like Bambi's mother. Yikes. Former FSU safety Keith Jones butchered him for this malfeasance on the Sun Sports replay. I can only imagine what a healthy Mickey will do.

The LB's are still underperforming, and I can not figure out why. I hope with Marcus Ball starting to get his sealegs back after the major knee injury, he may help solve some of this. Geno is everywhere trying to make up for his mates problems, and because of this is overrunning plays like a puppy on a waxed floor.

Well, it was a short week and the Buffalo's are coming. I would love to sneak a spear into Folsom Field and nail Ralphie right when he comes out of the tunnel. Prolly won't happen...

No comments: